The most popular accessory for our truck customers is a tonneau or bed cover. A bed cover helps keep everything inside the truck bed safe from the weather and secure from any wondering eyes. There are many different options to meet the need, styling, and price point of every customer. Extang is one of our favorite brands here at STILLEN and today we will be showing the install of a bed cover to show the ease of install and the versatility of the product.
The tonneau cover we are show casing is the Extang Revolution. The Revolution is a roll-able soft cover with cross bars for rigid structure and support. It is great for covering your truck bed and then quickly removing it out of the way to utilize the full bed.
When installing the tonneau cover, you want to identify the bed rails and make sure you have them lined up with the correct side. The bed rails attach with a rubber weather stripping and clamp style holds to form a secure, water resistant seal as well as cause no damage to your truck while installing it.
The clamps that we have from Extang attach under the factory bed rail to keep a low profile finish and avoid any damage to your vehicle. The clamps are connected to the new rails with a few bolts that are tightened using hand tools. Make sure not to over tighten them, to avoid damage to the new cover. There is also a leveling bolt to make sure the tracks do not sag at all. On our Chevrolet Silverado, we used the longer of the bolts that Extang supplied.
After aligning and installing the new tonneau frame rails, it is now time to install the Revolution soft cover. You want to start from the cab of the truck by lining up the first support bar into the notch as shown below. This will lock it into place and the spring provides the tension to keep the cover tight.
Next, slowly un-roll the cover and make sure the cross support latches are in the correct place. To adjust the location of the latches for a perfect fit, simply loosen them with the supplied Allen key and slide them to the correct position and then tighten them. Once they are all in place, fully roll out your cover and snap it into the last latch. Close the tailgate, now everything is sealed up and you ready to go.
Now that you have seen the Revolution, you can decide if that is the cover to meet your needs or one of the other choices from Extang. Many of the Extang options are also available with a tool box to keep you tools readily accessible without digging through the bed. Here is a list of the most popular models from Extang.
- Encore: A 3-piece, aluminum frame, hard folding cover. This is the only tonneau that opens from both the front and rear of the bed. The locks even utilize the factory key.
- Trifecta: This is a soft folding tonneau that installs in almost no time at all. They work extremely well as a harder folding tonneau.
- Solid fold: Solid fold tonneau covers are exactly what their name implies. They are a folding tonneau cover made out of a solid material that allows for added strength and security. Ultra strong and offer a locking mechanism to keep your personal items secure. They are so strong they can actually support the weight of an average sized person.
- Revolution: One of our favorite covers for its ultra-low profile design and easy usability. A soft, roll out cover that is re-enforced that can provide cover when you need it and easily rolls up out of the way when you need to use the full bed.
- FullTilt: This tonneau cover offers the best of both worlds from Extang. You can either un-snap and roll up the cover or you can undo the latch and tilt the whole tonneau up as one piece. This versatility helps keep your bed accessible in whichever way fits your needs.
Every Extang cover is made specifically for your make and model truck to guarantee a perfect fit. Make sure to check out the full line of Extang Tonneau covers at www.Stillen.com.